Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Haircut



First, I have to say that I was inspired by two different people to get my haircut (aka CHOPPED!): Yoriko and Akiko.  Yoriko has battled breast cancer and we've seen her lose all her hair twice since the battle began due to chemo...and each time it's grown back more beautiful than ever!  Akiko is the one who chopped it after her 2nd child, Meggie, and donated it to Locks of Love.  Akiko's hair looked AWESOME!


After I had decided to actually grow it out (I got a perm in January) and donate it, I did the research and found out you needed to donate at least 10 inches for it to be useful.  So months later, I had my 10 inches...

Now, where to go? I am not a faithful client to any stylist, due to happiness, price and/or proximity. But the fashionista Yu Jin SWEARS by her stylist, Kien at Umbrella Salon in San Jose.  (This is where Ako had her haircut btw...and I have to say Kien was super nice and everything YuJ told me he was...not sure I like the receptionist?)  I looked into it and the cost definitely was not in my normal range of haircut prices...but hey, if I'm going for a completely different style, I didn't want just some random chopping it...for that I could ask my brothers?!  Anyways, I ended up calling Umbrella but to book with Kien, it was a month out! EEK!  Luckily, Yu Jin was able to hook me up with a cancellation! So last night, in about an hour, I went from a permed and long haired person to basically a very, very short haired chic person?!  THANK GOODNESS Yoriko was able to go with me...I didn't even look in the mirror while he took the GIANT scissors to me!

I wasn't sure how Mark would take it, but he loves it more than I did.  I am definitely getting used to it already and interestingly enough, I feel like a whole new person...and the more I thought about it, IT's ONLY HAIR!  Maddie was shocked and kept saying how I was a different Mommy, and Adam, well, he ignored me until I caught him this morning playing with my hair. I asked him if he liked it, and he said, "Yzeeeeesssss!"  Because if he didn't, I'm sure I would have heard, "I don't LIIIIIIIIIIIKE it!"

Every time I have doubts of what I did, I think of Yoriko and think: sheesh, how vain are we?  Donating it to Locks of Love allows some child the opportunity to have not just long hair, but HAIR...period!   We are so grateful for our kids and our health, if people say mean things to me for a couple of months, so be it...I know that I did such a small "sacrifice" yet if I could bring a smile to a little kid, it's all worth it.

PS: www. locksoflove.org

PSS: and for my family who reads this: yes, I love long hair because I didn't have any for so long as a baby AND for the little I did have, I was bald after my mother shaved it ;)

No comments: