Monday, September 29, 2008

Berlin, Germany




Mark had to be at a tradeshow and meetings so he flew over first, then I was able to join him towards the end of his meetings to begin our "European Vacation"... our 1st stop...

Berlin was very interesting because of the "East - West" separation.  I always envisioned the East side being much less interesting than the West, but actually, it was the opposite.  Apparently, because the East was so oppressed (for lack of a better word) it is flourishing with new developments whereas the West is "as was."   There was definitely a "grey" area, figuratively and literally, between the historical aspects and the modern architecture.  

I did a city bus tour one day, it took you around the perimeter of the city.  It was pretty amazing to see so much history, yet it was just like any other city, you have the rich, the modern, the poor and the traditional historic districts.  Luckily, many places I needed to see and check out were within walking distance (ok, so maybe I don't walk a mile or two to go the mall here...) from our hotel.  The weather was decent, COLDER than I imagined.  I lost a jacket one night but upon seeing the prices of everything, we braved it out and luckily....the weather was nice throughout the rest of our trip!

Pics are of one of many "Berlin Bears" and of us at Checkpoint Charlie.

No comments: