Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kaitlyn's book club

Here are a couple of books to add to your reading list:

The Present by Spencer Johnson
The invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

I am NOT one to read too many self help books and such but The Present was an easy and thin book so I decided to give it a try.  It actually was a GREAT book!  I think because it doesn't apply to work or anything specific, it was a good book just about "life" in general.  I HIGHLY recommend it...

and the Hugo Cabret Book?  It may look daunting with its 500+ pages but it is one of the best books I've ever read.  I believe it's Brian Selznick's first book, but again, it's GREAT!  It reminded me that childrens' literature can be just as entertaining and interesting as adults, along the lines of Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume :)  There's also a very neat part to the book: 280+ pages are drawings by the author as well.  I can't imagine this book NOT becoming a great movie one day.

Kaitlyn was enrolled in a summer tutorial course and although she was not an avid reader, they made her read, A LOT!  She inspired me to read more as well, so along with her "list" of must reads from school like The Westing Game and Where the Red Fern Grows, I've been trying to branch out and read more too.  I find that it's something relaxing and useful for the mind and it's kinda funny how different these books are to me now that I'm reading them at 35 vs at 10 yrs old and/or FOR SCHOOL!  I had to convince my husband to get me a night light (ended up with a 2 pack of "book lights" you can clip on your book, computer, whatever so I don't disturb the boys) so I can read in bed.  When Kaitlyn was reading a new book every 2 days, I felt I could motivate her to keep up the good work and myself to keep reading, even if I miss out on an extra hour of sleep :)  And now we decided to keep up the reading by agreeing to pick out a book from recommendations by her teacher(s) and we'll each check it out from the library and read it "together"...eventhough we're 500 miles apart.

If anyone has suggestions for must reads, LET US KNOW! (just remember Kaitlyn is only 10, going on 11 :P)

No comments: