Thursday, October 16, 2008

Making Strides...for Breast Cancer

This Saturday, our family will join Quyen and Anson to walk and help raise awareness and fight against breast cancer.  Our walk is not as "big" or "popular" as other walks we've done or supported in the past (i.e. AVON walk for Breast Cancer, Relay for Life, Susan G. Komen 3-day Walk) but I think it's just as important.  I have read so much about people who "champion" a cause and you wonder, WHY?  Now I know.  Because they have been personally touched by it.  

We have all been exposed to different diseases on TV, newspapers, ads, etc...but nothing really sets your mind to do something about it until we are personally affected.  My life was affected in the fall of 2003.  I remember the exact moment pretty clearly...the phone call, the tears, the anger, the "why her?"  She was a young NEW mother, with a baby just a little over a year old...and she was one of our best friends!   When Yoriko got the news back that her biopsy was positive, it was shocking to say the least.   But then...we found our "Cause".

This past spring I was once again shocked to learn that a former boss of mine, Richard, was diagnosed with breast cancer as well.  This was definitely one of those "wake up" moments due to the fact if nothing else, it was a MALE being diagnosed.   We somehow always equate "breast" cancer with females, and maybe the Pink has something to do with that...although I had met lots of men survivors on my walks and such, when it touches someone you personally know, well, it definitely hits home much harder!  Richard is in his mid-40s, with a wonderful wife and two young children...and so another reason we support the fight.

I think with the numerous amount of women we have in our family, it is by miracles that none are affected with any of the "diseases" so common in females: heart disease, breast cancer, etc. I really do thank our lucky stars each and every year that goes by without news of this kind.  So, I guess every small step I take is nothing compared to what these amazing people fight with each and every day.  If all it takes is walking a few hundred miles and raising however much money we can along the way for 2 more families NOT to have to hear the "C" word in their lives...sign me up for few more hundred miles :)

No comments: